Selected lecture notes and problems from Equilibrium Statistical Physics, taught by Gerhard Müller at the University of Rhode Island.
Some Relevant Textbooks and Monographs:
L. E. Reichl: A modern course in statistical physics. Wiley-Interscience, New York 1998.
D. Chandler: Introduction to Modern statistical mechanics. Oxford University Press 1987.
C. Garrod: Statistical mechanics and thermodynamics. Oxford University Press 1995.
W. Greiner, L. Neise, and H. Stoecker: Thermodynamics and statistical mechanics. Springer-Verlag, New York 1995.
M. Plischke and B. Bergersen: Equilibrium statistical physics. World Scientific 1994.
K. Huang: Statistical mechanics. Wiley, New York 1987.
L. D. Landau and E. M. Lifshitz: Statistical physics 1. Pergamon, New York 1980.
R. K. Pathria: Statistical mechanics. Pergamon, New York 1972.
J. M. Yeomans: Statistical mechanics of phase transitions. Clarendon Press, Oxford 1992.
F. Schwabl: Statistical mechanics. Springer-Verlag, New York 2006.
A. H. Carter: Classical and statistical thermodynamics. Prentice-Hall 2001.
R. Kubo: Thermodynamics. North-Holland 1968.
I. Prigogine: From being to becoming. Freeman 1980.
J. Crangle: The magnetic properties of solids. Arnold 1977.
Acknowledgements I am grateful to Dr. Geoffrey Potter for preparing the graphs to the ideal quantum gas part of these lecture notes. The quality and accuracy of these lecture notes and exercises has greatly benefited from the questions and comments of countless students and correspondents.
Do you have a questions about any of the problems [tex]? Do you need a hint? Do you wish to suggest additional problems? Do you have a question about the lecture notes [tln, tsl]? Did you find any mistakes? Drop a note to firstname.lastname@example.org
Submissions from 2015
01. Equilibrium Thermodynamics I: Introduction, Gerhard Müller
02. Equilibrium Thermodynamics II: Engines, Gerhard Müller
03. Equilibrium Thermodynamics III: Free Energies, Gerhard Müller
04. Equilibrium Thermodynamics IV: Applications, Gerhard Müller
05. Thermodynamics of Phase Transitions I, Gerhard Müller
06. Thermodynamics of Phase Transitions II, Gerhard Müller
07. Kinetic Theory I, Gerhard Müller
08. Kinetic Theory II, Gerhard Müller
09. Microcanonical Ensemble, Gerhard Müller
10. Canonical Ensemble I, Gerhard Müller
11. Canonical Ensemble II, Gerhard Müller
12. Grandcanonical Ensemble, Gerhard Müller
13. Ideal Quantum Gases I: Bosons, Gerhard Müller
14. Ideal Quantum Gases II: Fermions, Gerhard Müller